One of the main reasons we’re doing this Nomad thing is to see and experience the beautiful things our Nation has to offer. As a kid, both of us traveled, by car (mostly) around the country and camped. It’s a common thread for us and holds some pretty cool memories. We went to different places, saw different things, so we’re sharing those memories with each other.
What is Boondocking?
Good question. Boondocking is “Dry Camping”. Camping without hookups. You bring your own water, your own electricity, store your waste, garbage, pack out everything you bring in (plus the garbage people leave behind).
Enough! Give me the links!
Okay! Okay! Look to the little sidebar here and you’ll see the Basic Links I’ve rounded up for Boondocking resources.
These are the links that will get you started! There is a lot more to learn, and we’ll talk a lot about that as we go…because dragging a giant 5th wheel into boondocking sites is a new thing for both of us! (I’m used to boondocking and very familiar with it, but this aspect is new and requires a few, um, extra considerations.)
See where we've been and some of the Odd we encounter!
Boondocking, Campsites, Burns, Paranormal...it's all there!
Basic Boondocking Resources
Resources on Facebook
Several of the sites I've listed have active Facebook pages. These, cross listed with the web sites, can yield a LOT of information (GPS coordinates, Cell signal strength ratings, etc.).
- Campendium - https://www.facebook.com/campendium/
- Quickly becoming my favorite among the bunch. Each post seems to link to the review on the Campendium site! Extremely well organized and informative!
- Solar Powered RV's and Boondocking. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1730535217184853/
- Kind of an odd listing. The page is run by Solar Guru Brian Boone (Solar Brian). He's a good guy, easy going. The group has some odd and amorphous rules that are easy to figure out once you realize that this page is where he gets most of his buisness! So, please respect that! VERY useful if you are looking at going Solar!
- Also several Boondocking recommendations.
- RV Boondocking - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1523304941221183/
- Don't know too much about this one yet. Over 5,000 members.
- Boondocking & free camping USA - https://www.facebook.com/groups/124433330976510/
- Big group with over 20,000 members
- Technomadia - https://www.facebook.com/Technomadia/
- Of course we include Technomadia! Like 'em or not...they know what they're doing!
Boondocking on Instagram
Believe it or not there are a lot of really good Boondocking and Full-Time RV oriented folks on Instagram. I'll dig around and get a bunch for you, but here are a few to start with.
Note! - Some of these may be NSFW! I like many different things and so does everyone, and Instagram is a perfect medium for diversity and individuality.
- https://www.instagram.com/professor_grift - Me! Meaning my personal account. You're gonna see a LOT of different things on here and I'm a dark, snarky smart-ass.
- https://www.instagram.com/boondockinglife - The incredible account of Jacob Kneeshaw who states: "Nomad wandering out west. Boondocking is my jam. Camp coordinates in description." He even offers reviews of cellular reception!
- https://www.instagram.com/travelexploreuncover - I have a soft spot for fellow Grand Design Momentum 350M owners. This couple offers some great photography and information...but doesn't share coordinates on Instagram. They also have a web site and YouTube channel.
- https://www.instagram.com/fulltimerv - The RV Project. Hints at location (names, places) but no coordinates. Not too difficult to figure out though.
- https://www.instagram.com/crazycamperchicks - Not a bad photo diary of journeys through the USA and Canada...without coordinates, but lots of names and places.
- https://www.instagram.com/oddrealities The official Odd Realities Instagram account which isn't really doing much yet...but will be SOON!
This is a tough one, and it's all up to us in judgement; so it's gonna fill up slowly. Here's the first!
- Adventure In A Backpack's Boondocking Sites. Good descriptions, varied locations, photos and GPS Coordinates!! With maps! (Although the font does drive me a little crazy.): http://adventureinabackpack.com/?s=boondocking